End with an unexpected moral


Digory Dog closed the door of his tumble-down house behind him and sat down in his favourite chair.
‘Thank goodness that’s all over,’ he sighed.
‘It was quite an adventure,’ squeaked Mousemouse. ‘Let’s do it again!’
‘Oh, Mousemouse,’ Digory Dog laughed. ‘You always want more excitement, don’t you?’
‘More more more!’ said Mousemouse, waving his little paws in the air. ‘More adventures! More mysteries! More fun! I’ve got to have more! More!’ He was shaking now, his little eyes wide and slightly bloodshot.
‘Mousemouse!’ Digory Dog said sharply. ‘Stop it!’ There was an awkward silence. ‘Look,’ said Digory. ‘I think it’s time you admitted you have a problem. This is getting out of hand.’
‘I just love adventure,’ said Mousemouse quietly.
‘It’s an addiction and you need to seek help,’ said Digory Dog. ‘You’re not just hurting yourself, you’re hurting those around you.’
‘I know,’ whispered Mousemouse, covering his face with his paws. ‘I know.’ He was crying now, tiny mouse tears of remorse splashing onto the floor beneath him.
‘Come here,’ said Digory, hugging Mousemouse to him. ‘It’s going to be okay. You’ve taken an important first step.’

10 comments:

  1. Brilliant. I want to read the rest of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mousemouse... it shouldn't work, but it does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww mousemouse and digory dog!! They're so cute!!!! I feel all fuzzy warm inside now.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor little Mousemouse - I alread want to give him a hug!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mousemouse is quite clearly Barney.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "...tiny mouse tears of remorse..."
    Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Hi, my name's the Antipodean and I'm an adrenaline junkie"Tuesday, July 27, 2010

    For the record, most of my adrenaline comes from missing deadlines.

    Glorious, Joel. I hope you've registered mousemouse.com and dashgallant.com for when you sell the TV rights.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mousemouse is quite clearly Barney.

    For anyone playing along at home, Barney is our dog. And yes, Mousemouse may bear a certain resemblance to that particular labrador.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, so Mousemouse-as-Barney does not refer to the purple dinosaur? I was willing to run with that hypothesis by relating the creatures in terms of creepy cuteness... but Barney the dinosaur at least knows when to pack it in and sing the cleanup song.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just made my day!

    I thought the Barney was from How I Met your Mother, but then I realized, that Barney would never grow morals nor admit to having a problem. Silly me.

    ReplyDelete